This course consists of weekly online classes delivered by Drs Mohsin Ali, Sahraa Jabbar, Aneel Jabbar and Toheed Hamid.
The 12 session course will be spread over 3 months beginning Sunday 25th July until 10th October 2021, followed by a full hands-on day covering surgical and prosthetic kits and practising placing implants on anatomic models.
Hands-on Session to be organised (covid-permitting)
All delegates will also be added to a private WhatsApp group where cases can be shared and discussed with course tutors in a learning-friendly environment.
Month 1: Planning Implant related treatments
Month 2: Surgical aspects of implant dentistry
Month 3: Restorative aspects of implant dentistry
Lesson duration: 60-90 mins per week
Total CPD: 24 hours covering GDC learning outcomes A, C and D.
Lessons will be recorded and accessible for 2 weeks after each session for delegates. If you would like to learn more about the Implant Training & Mentoring Academy, please click here
Month 1 breakdown
- Lesson 1 • Intro to dental implants • Aetiology and impact of tooth loss • Understand why teeth need to be replaced • Indications for implants • Initial patient assessment
- Lesson 2 • Structured implant patient assessment and treatment planning • Medical conditions relevant to implant dentistry • Discussion of relevant social and dental factors • Highlight the importance and key points of the clinical examination in respect to dental implants
- Lesson 3 • List different imaging techniques utilised in dental implant treatment • Describe the radiation dose from various imaging techniques • Discuss radiation protection principles • Describe indications for 2D and 3D radiographic imaging • Introduction to the risk assessment tool (SAC) developed by the ITI
- Lesson 4 • Discuss the benefits of minimally traumatic extraction techniques • Understand alveolar changes following the loss of a tooth • Describe techniques to remove teeth while minimising trauma to the hard and soft tissue • Describe the use of ridge preservation in surgical dentistry and the indications • Understand the various bone graft materials available
Month 2 Breakdown
- Lesson 5 • Anatomy relevant to dental implants
- Lesson 6 • Describe the pre-operative steps involved in preparing a patient for dental implant surgery • A review of operative steps to aid dental implant surgery • Describe surgical equipment required for dental implant surgery including BioHorizons drill kit • Understand the importance of good post-operative care instructions
- Lesson 7 • Understand the basic principles of flap design • Review relevant anatomy associated with flap design • Describe various techniques for safely raising flaps for implant surgery • Describe how to prepare an osteotomy and equipment used to place an implant
- Lesson 8 • Describe the basic principles of suturing • Understand the ideal properties of a suture material • Understand different types of needles • Describe the various suturing techniques
Month 3 breakdown
- Lesson 9 • Review of restoratively driven planning and principles • Overview of the stages of restoring a dental implant • Classification of implant loading • Uncovery techniques and step by step • Overview of restorative kit
- Lesson 10 • Description of healing abutment and associated components • Describe features of the implant restoration including abutment designs, connections, materials, emergence profile, retention methods • Principles of occlusion Impression techniques step by step • Lab instructions
- Lesson 11 • Lab stages in the fabrication of an implant restoration • Fitting of restoration step by step • Description of fitting screw and cement retained crowns • Describe reasons for misfit • Overview of angle correction
- Lesson 12 • Maintenance protocols • Short and long term complications • Description of more complex implant restorations • Marketing implants in practice • Future implant training and mentoring
Learning AimTo provide a foundational implant dentistry course, covering the basic theoretical and practical elements of implant dentistry and encouraging delegates to further their knowledge of dental implants and their awareness of the treatment options they can provide.
Upon completion of this course, the delegates should be able to:
- Discuss factors affecting planning and success of implant treatment
- Understand surgical and prosthetic protocols for simple implant treatments
- Discuss the importance of proper implant positioning and the relevant planning
- Understand the use of different types of abutments and implant crowns
- Understand factors affecting implant crown form
- Outline the range of implant-related treatment options and build confidence of delegates to be able to discuss these with patients
Implant Starter Course with the Implant Training & Mentoring Academy
08:30, 25 Jul 2021
08:30, 10 Oct 2021
£1,400.00 per person, inc. VAT
etc venues Drummond Gate London
1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico
Dr Mohsin O. Ali
Principal Dental Surgeon, Oak Hill Dental and Implant Centre
Post graduate lecturer, Royal College of Surgeons (FGDP (UK)) & LaKSS Deanery
Director, Faculty of General Dental Practitioners (UK), North East Thames Division
Mohsin graduated from King’s College London in 2009 with a number of awards and prizes including the Emslie Periodontics and the Souyave Endodontics prize. At the end of his Vocational Training year in 2010, he was awarded a national prize with the British Endodontic Society. He completed his Diploma of Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and was awarded Membership to the Faculty of General Dental Practitioners (UK).
Mohsin rotated between Bart’s, The Royal London and Whipps Cross University Hospitals immersing himself in surgical training in the Oral and Maxillofacial departments. In 2011, he was accredited to become a Dentist with a Special Interest (DwSI) in Oral Surgery and has since been taking referrals for advanced surgical procedures from referring dentists, completing several thousand wisdom tooth extractions. In 2012, owing to his experience and clinical excellence, Mohsin was offered the prestigious position of becoming a Clinical Lecturer in Oral Surgery at the Royal London Hospital with Bart’s and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry. He enjoyed lecturing and developing a strong bond with dental undergraduates and dental core trainees. In 2019, Mohsin moved on and was appointed to become a post-graduate clinical tutor on the Faculty of General Dental Practitioners’ Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery with the Royal College of Surgeons.
Mohsin is an educational supervisor and post-graduate lecturer for foundation dentists in the LaKSS Deanery, training the next generation of dentists and to support them through their journey from university to dental practice.
Mohsin completed the flagship postgraduate Diploma in Implant Dentistry with the Royal College of Surgeons and furthered this with advanced training from some of the world’s most renowned dentists. He is reassuringly experienced in the whole spectrum of implant dentistry taking referrals from dentists in London, Essex and the home counties. He regularly mentors implant colleagues and visits a select few practices to provide implant, sedation and surgical services.
Mohsin listens to his patient’s concerns carefully and provides the right treatment for each patient’s individual needs. He prides himself with being caring and always honestly advises what would be in your best interests in a transparent manner.
Outside of his busy work schedule(!), Mohsin is a proud father to a young son. He enjoys reading, playing cricket and has taken scores of dentists to refugee camps in Calais, Greece and the West Bank to carry out dental treatment and help restore dignity to people who need a helping hand
Dr Toheed Hamid
Dr Toheed Hamid
GDC: 154982 | BDS (Bristol 2008) | DipImplantology (Bristol 2018)
Toheed graduated from the University of Bristol in 2008 and has worked in general practice since qualifying. He has developed a reputation for being an empathetic, thorough and well-mannered dentist.
Over the past 5 years, Toheed has held the role of Foundation Dentist Trainer with great enthusiasm. In this role he is responsible for training, mentoring and guiding newly-qualified dentists during their transition from university to general practice.
He has also furthered his postgraduate education by undertaking 2 years of the MSc in Dental Implantology course at the University of Bristol. Toheed is a member of the International Team of Implantology, and regularly attends courses to expand upon his knowledge. He has been placing implants since 2014 and spends most of his time travelling between practices placing and restoring implants. He also mentors dentists who are new to dental implantology and helps their development and growth.
Toheed has experience in and enjoys all aspects of Dentistry. He takes pride in being able to help patients develop confidence in their teeth and smile, often using minimally invasive techniques. He has a holistic approach to dental care and appreciates the importance of being able to provide a spectrum of treatments tailored to the patient’s needs.
His special interest lies in Dental Implants and the many benefits they can provide to patients. He also has a special interest in oral surgery and complicated tooth extractions. Toheed’s gentle and polite approach often helps to put patients at ease.
Outside of the surgery, Toheed is a keen sportsman. He loves to play cricket, golf, football, tennis and many other sports. Toheed is also a keen cyclist and motorcyclist. He enjoys spending time with his young family who keep him very busy!
Dr Sahra Jabbar
Dr Sahra Jabbar
BDS Hons, MJDF RCS Eng, MSc (Dental Implantology) | GDC 244973
Sahra divides her clinical time between oral surgery, dental implantology and some general dentistry. She accepts referrals from local dentists for complex oral surgery including wisdom teeth extractions and implant treatments.
Sahra is trained in intravenous sedation and clinical hypnotherapy techniques, and is particularly good at managing anxiety in dental patients. She teaches postgraduate students as a clinical tutor on the FGDP oral surgery diploma programme and has been involved in publishing work in clinical journals as well as training newly qualified dentists.
Sahra qualified from King’s College London with Honours and has completed postgraduate exams with the Royal College of Surgeons. She is accredited as an advanced practitioner of oral surgery and holds a Master’s degree with Merit in Dental Implantology from the University of Bristol, having previously worked in several hospital Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery departments. She is a member of the International Team for Implantology (ITI), the Association of Dental Implantologists (ADI) and the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS).
Outside of work she has been involved in medical volunteering both in the UK and abroad, and enjoys swimming, horse riding and kickboxing
Dr Aneel Jabbar
Dr Aneel Jabbar
GDC Reg No: 191823 | BDS MJDF RCS (Eng) MSc (Dental Implantology)
Aneel qualified at the University of Bristol in 2010 and has worked in Bristol and the surrounding areas ever since. He has received a number of postgraduate qualifications, having joined the prestigious Royal College of Surgeons in 2012, and then gaining a Masters degree in Dental Implantology from the University of Bristol. He has published in dental journals on the topic of dental implants, and presented the prize-winning poster at the national Association of Dental Implantology conference in 2017.
Aneel now dedicates a large part of his clinical time to dental implant treatment and visits a number of clinics solely to offer this treatment. In addition to his qualifications, he regularly attends courses to enhance his own expertise and ensure his patients receive the very best treatment.
Aneel is a member of the Association of Dental Implantology and the International Team for Implantology
26 Jun 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
NOW SOLD OUT! Immediate Full Arch Load with Pynadath George
30 Sep 2021 - 1 Oct 2021
Immediate Loading with TeethXpress® – Live Surgical & Restorative Demonstration with Paul Swanson